I'm a counselor and an educator at heart. I enjoy helping people find the "ah-ha" moment that changes how they look at a subject they are studying, a situation they are struggling with, or a way they look at life. I'm a life-long learner and continue to seek new ways to help people with their struggles. I enjoy being creative and often learn this way.
I've taught in mostly non-traditionally for the last eight years. As an Extension Educator, I taught ages 8-90 over multiple topics and in many different ways. I've learned the best way to help people learn the topic is to teach them through multiple learning strategies. I have also taught in the traditional college setting, a career class focusing on helping students prepare for careers through interviewing, portfolio development, job shadowing, resume development, etc. Furthermore, I have helped students who struggled with study schedules,
Health Partnership Clinic, Licensed Clinical Addiction Counselor
2016 - Present
• Develop, implement, and maintain a substance abuse program in compliance with state requirements.
• Provide substance abuse treatment recommendations and assist clients in achieving treatment goals in order to improve their ability to perform tasks in their daily living and working environments.
• Complete intake/screening/assessment process within appropriate time frames.
• Evaluate crisis situations and apply appropriate interventions.
• Administer Kansas Client Placement Criteria (KCPC).
• Assist in the detection of at risk patients...
Human Services Center, Adolescent Chemical Dependency Counselor-Inpatient
2011 - 2016
• Conduct individual, family, and group therapy sessions in an inpatient setting
• Evaluate, determine, and diagnose client’s substance abuse severity and disorders based on DSM IV & DSM V
• Develop, implement, and evaluate client-centered evidence-based treatment plans based on ASAM Criteria
• Collect biopsychosocial intakes and assessments with adolescent clients
• Assist clients and clients’ families in preparing for discharge, including relapse planning and support
• Case management including: proper paperwork, contact with court...
SDSU Extension, Family & Consumer Sciences Educator
2007 - 2011
• Developed, advertised, and delivered research based topics to educate SD residents from parenting to nutrition, ages 8-80 years old.
• Collaborated with others to provide connections to resources to help improve overall health and well- being of SD citizens
• Created and used different media to reach the public with research based information,
• Empowered and developed advisory boards, stakeholders, and committees to work Extension’s mission