I am a senior at the University of California Santa Barbara studying Chemistry with a minor in Physics. In my upper division coursework, I have chosen to focus on Physical and Theoretical Chemistry. I have been participating in research with the UCSB Materials Department where I work on the synthesis and magnetic property characterization of potential quantum spin liquid candidates. Here I have acquired skills in solid state experimental techniques including synthesis, crystal growth, x-ray diffraction, and crystallography.
I have always tutored friends and family while growing up. During my sophomore year in college I took part in a science education apprenticeship offered by a local science museum through UC Santa Barbara. Here, I learned to develop facilitation strategies and NGSS-aligned curriculum.
UC Santa Barbara Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Senior Research Storeroom Associate
2018 - Present
The UCSB Chemistry Research Storeroom is responsible for providing chemicals, laboratory equipment, and personal protective equipment to all departments at UCSB.
• Safely handle and distribute chemicals
• Maintain accurate log of distributed gas cylinders in the Chemistry department
• Process orders and charge PI's account
• Assist graduate students and professors in selecting appropriate glassware and laboratory materials
• Distribute appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring proper fit and that specific laboratory needs are met
UC Santa Barbara Materials Department, Undergraduate Researcher
2018 - Present
I am a member of the Wilson Group. The Wilson Group's research focuses primarily on magnetism, lattice dynamics, and electronic phase behaviors in spin-orbit driven phases of matter.
For the majority of my time with the Wilson Group I have worked on the synthesis and physical property characterization of materials that are believed to demonstrate frustrated quantum magnetism.
• Design/Optimize synthesis for both powders and single crystals, employing techniques such as flux crystal growth and hydrothermal synthesis
• Characterization of...
MOXI: The Wolf Museum of Exploration and Innovation, Educator
2016 - 2018
Apprentice in a joint certificate program between UC Santa Barbara and MOXI in Facilitation and Design of Informal Learning Experiences.
• Develop facilitation strategies and NGSS-aligned curriculum
• Conduct and present research on guest interactions and levels of engagement with certain exhibits and spaces in the museum
• Engaging guests at floor exhibits
• Leading formal engineering and design field trip programs
• Supporting design and implementation of activities in the Innovation Workshop, MOXI's maker space
• Facilitating MOXI...