I am a Teach for America alumni and a current aspiring physician, currently in the process of applying for medical school for the fall of 2017. I have a passion for science, learning and community service which I've put to work as a tutor, health educator, and high school Biology teacher.
In college, I was a tutor during my sophomore and junior years. I worked with high schoolers from Chicago with their content, study skills and goal-setting.
During my senior year, I worked with Peer Health Exchange. The program seeks to train college students to teach part of a health education curriculum for those schools that cannot afford their own Health Education teacher. Through the program, I taught my section of the curriculum at high schools throughout the south side of Chicago and gained more experience working with high...
2015 - 2016
• Presented, explained and sold supplemental insurance benefits to diverse working-class clientele
• Earned agency excellence award during first active month for being third-highest producing agent
• Generated $23,064 worth of annual business in 4 month span of active agency, 44% higher than agency average
• Received 465 business referrals during active agency, 75% higher than agency average
High School Biology Teacher
2013 - 2015
• Taught Biology curriculum to 9th and 10th grade general and special education students at a Title I school
• Achieved a state exam pass rate of 79%, up from 52% the preceding school year
• Developed and taught a science remediation curriculum to 11th and 12th grade general and special education students
• Improved students’ state exam scores by 26% from their previous attempt
2012 - 2013
• Catalogued and organized human tissue samples and sample data for the Ovarian Cancer Lab
• Independently developed and executed a procedure to systemically verify previously stored tissues
• Managed the tissue bank database to reflect actual sample availability, updating and correcting past errors