Tutor profile: Serena S.
Tutor for 5 years; PhD student at Vanderbilt University
Tutor Satisfaction Guarantee
I am an aspiring research scientist with a passion for mentoring and teaching. I graduated from the University of Miami with a Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience and a Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology. I am currently in the second year of a PhD program in the biomedical sciences.
My mother is a high school Spanish teacher, so I tutored many of her students while I was in high school. In college, I was a student athlete tutor, as well as a private tutor for families in the area. I tutored all ages (first grade through high school) and tutored a variety of subjects (math, science, English, and Spanish). After I graduated, I spent a summer at Johns Hopkins University as an advisor (teacher) for an intensive and immersive medicine program for high schoolers. In grad school now, I mentor undergraduate students.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
2018 - 2023
University of Miami
2014 - 2018
Eastern Florida State College
2011 - 2014
Envision Experience, Johns Hopkins University, Advisor (Teacher)
2018 - 2018
• Directly facilitated 8-10 hours of curriculum daily, managed the classroom, and briefed and debriefed lectures and activities. • Acted as a mentor and guide. • Responded to and addressed student concerns, on-call 24 hours per day while the program was in session. • Set individual and group expectations and enforced the Student Code of Conduct to ensure that expectations were met.
Self-Employed, Private Tutor
2017 - 2018
Tutored local elementary, middle, and high school students in several subject areas including math, Spanish, English, History, Science, SSAT Prep, and SAT Prep
Department of Biology - University of Miami, Student Researcher
2016 - 2018
• Conducted own project using Drosophila melanogaster and CRISPR techniques to observe results of two mutations on the respiratory tract. • Used techniques such as cloning of plasmids, construction of DNA inserts, PCR, Gibson assembly, handling of fruit flies, extraction of embryos, and injection of embryos.
University of Miami - Psychology Department, Research Assistant
2015 - 2018
• Traveled out in the field to assess bilingual HeadStart pre-schoolers in different areas of school readiness. • Collected data for bilingual assessments of PCLA, EFECCT, Lens, Enfoque, and Educare project assessments to assess child development. • Helped in processing of data on computers. • Worked closely with colleagues for organization of work in the field.
Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) - University of Oregon, Student Researcher
2017 - 2017
• Conducted own summer research project for the duration of 10 weeks regarding circuitry in Drosophila. • Used Brp-short and synaptic tagging with recombination techniques to conduct own project using Drosophila melanogaster to quantify synapse number during different larval stages for identification of astrocyte-derived molecules influencing cholinergic synapse formation. • Used techniques of working with Drosophila (how to maintain, handle, and collect stocks), larval brain dissections, antibody staining, and use of a confocal...
SMART Program - University of Colorado Boulder - Psychology & Neuroscience Department, Student Researcher
2016 - 2016
• Conducted own summer research project for the duration of 10 weeks regarding gene expression and the circadian rhythm. • Assisted in handling rats during surgeries and experiments. • Used cryostat technique, in situ hybridization, phosphoimage screens, densitometry methods, and two-way ANOVA and cosine analysis for data analysis. • Helped in processing and analyzing data of other projects in the lab. • Practiced in writing scientific pieces such as a research proposal and a final research paper. • Practiced in oral presentation at the...
University of Miami - Athletics Department, Student Athlete Tutor
2015 - 2016
Tutored student athletes in math and English
Eastern Florida State College, Science Lab Assistant
2013 - 2014
• Prepared labs for all science courses and cleaned up after them. • Cultured bacteria and prepared media from defined recipes in large amounts. • Graded papers and washed dishes, conducted inventories, organized stockrooms, and entered information on the computer. • Assisted in research projects of professors
Send a message explaining your
needs and Serena will reply soon.
needs and Serena will reply soon.
Ready now? Request a lesson.
What is a lesson?
A lesson is virtual lesson space on our platform where you and a tutor can communicate. You'll have the option to communicate using video/audio as well as text chat. You can also upload documents, edit papers in real time and use our cutting-edge virtual whiteboard.
How do I begin a lesson?
If the tutor is currently online, you can click the "Start Lesson" button above. If they are offline, you can always send them a message to schedule a lesson.
Who are TutorMe tutors?
Many of our tutors are current college students or recent graduates of top-tier universities like MIT, Harvard and USC. TutorMe has thousands of top-quality tutors available to work with you.