Tutor profile: Marian H.
Often times we write in passive voice which makes our writing sound awkward and less pleasant to read. In order to minimize that and get a higher essay score, look out for uses of passive voice and switch it to active voice. What is the difference between active and passive voice? What are some examples of both? Which one is better to generally use?
Answer: Active voice means the sentence has a subject that is doing the action. Passive voice means the sentence has a subject that is the one receiving the action. 1. Active: The child ate the sandwich. Passive: The sandwich was being eaten by the child. 2. Active: His mother is helping him. Passive: He is being helped by his mother. Active voice is better to use, because it eliminates unnecessary words, making your writing flow much more nicely. This also increases your overall score). Explanation: The subject of the sentence should be the one acting and the object should be the one receiving the action. This puts your sentences in active voice. However, when you have the object (the thing receiving the action) at the beginning of your sentence, then this will turn your sentences it into passive voice. Pro tip: Put the subject (thing doing the action) at the beginning of the sentence and the object (thing receiving the action) at the end.
Philosophy of Logic: Solve the following using formal proof method Given Q1 → Q2, (Q2 ∨ Q3) → ¬Q4, Q1 ∧ Q4 Prove ⊢ ¬(Q5 ∧ ¬Q6)
1In order to solve this formal proof you must lay out your premises like so and keep numbering below the premises. Use this general recipe method to solve the problem. General Recipe: a) is there a disjunction you can introduce? b) is there anything you can eliminate? c) Is there anything you can introduce? d) use the indirect proof method. Answer: 1. Q1 → Q2 ⊢ ¬(Q5 ∧ ¬Q6) 2. (Q2 ∨ Q3) → ¬Q4 3. Q1 ∧ Q4 4. Q1 ∧E 3 5.Q4 ∧E 3 6. Q2 → E 1, 4 7. Q2 V Q3 V I 6 8. ¬Q4 →E 2,7 9. ⊥ ¬ E 5,8 10. ¬(Q5 ∧ ¬Q6) X 9 Explanation: Since there is no disjunction, you can jump into general recipe b) and eliminate the conjunction in premise 3. So 4 and 5 we get both halves of the conjunction. For 6. we are able to eliminate the conditional from premise 1. and get Q2 since we have Q1 from premise 4. for 7. we are able to add a disjunction and it can be whatever we want. Since I want to eliminate the conditional from premise 2, I decided to add Q3. For 8 we get ¬Q4 from conditional elimination. For 9. we get a contradiction since there's Q4 and ¬Q4. Since there is a contradiction within our program through the explosion rule we are able to add anything we want. So in this case we add the very thing we are trying to prove which is ¬(Q5 ∧ ¬Q6).
The economy currently has a $30 billion recessionary gap. The MPS is .2. a. What is the appropriate fiscal policy? b. What is the MPC? c. What is the spending multiplier? d. How much government spending should be implemented in order to close the gap?
a. expansionary The economy is in a recession and needs to be boosted in order to go back to normal. A Recession means a time in which the GDP falls for repeated periods of time. The GDP is the measurement of the average income of everyone in the economy. So when the GDP falls a causes a recession and in order to combat this recession we need to boost the economy though what is called expansionary fiscal policy. b. .8 The formula is 1= MPC+MPS. So since the MPS is .2 then 1-.2=.8. Practically speaking you either spend or save your money, if you save .2 or 20% of it, then you are going to spend the rest which is .8 or 80%. c. 5 The formula is 1/1-MPC. So when we plug in the MPC we get 1 / (1- .8) = 5 In practical terms this is how fast the money is going to spread in the economy. So the more people spend the faster money exchanges hands the higher the spending multiplier. The less people spend, the slower money exchanges hands and the lower the spending multiplier will be. d. $6 billion The formula is change in Government spending x (multiplier) = Total Recessionary gap. Plug in 5 from part c. and the total recessionary gap from the question and solve for the change in government spending. Δ G x 5 = 30 billion so divide 5 to the other side to get 6 billion needed in government spending to close the recessionary gap of 30 billion. Be careful not to put $30billion, because there is a spending multiplier or how fast money exchanges hands. So the government only needs to spend $6 billion to boost the economy by a total of $30 billion.
needs and Marian will reply soon.