Spencer here! Though I was born in New York, when I was 7 years old my family moved abroad to Shanghai, China. Growing up in China, I learned to speak Mandarin and immersed myself in Chinese culture - learning about a different way of life. I went to an international school in Shanghai and developed a passion for the sciences and humanities alike. I was particularly enthusiastic about the presentations we gave in classes - the international nature of case studies and examples my classmates presented kept the material fresh and interesting. In...
I have also been self-employed as a private tutor for years, teaching elementary, middle school and high school students in subjects including Math, English, Biology and Chinese (2012-2016). During all four years of high school I was a volunteer tutor with CARITAS Shanghai's Migrant Education Program and taught English to Chinese elementary school students (2013-2016). In my freshmen year of college at Stanford I was a tutor and mentor for a middle school student as a part of East Palo Alto Stanford Academy (2016-2017).
Stanford University, Research Intern
2017 - 2017
Conducted field work for PhD student as a part of ecology-focused research in species networks.
• Performed daily field sampling of pollinators and other invertebrates
• Cooperated with team to coordinate sampling and adjust to conditions
• Studied and gained understanding of agricultural and natural landscapes
• Refined research and science communication skills in designing and presenting research poster
Ecolab, Research Intern
2016 - 2016
Conducted chemical screening experiments as a part of water research to improve industrial cooling tower energy use efficiency by inhibiting bacterial growth in pipes.
• Wrote research reports on different antimicrobial chemicals and as well as water purification equipment
• Performed experiments to test for microbe killing ability and biofilm inhibition ability
• Processed and analyzed experimental data, and wrote lab summaries for experiments performed
• Organized data and presented results in...