Tutor profile: Sarah M.
PhD student - mathematical and computational biology
Tutor Satisfaction Guarantee
R and Python programmer working towards a PhD in computational and mathematical epidemiology. Regularly teaches statistics, data visualisation, and programming. Strong scientific background of formulating and evaluating research questions, as well as visualising and presenting results to a wide range of audiences. Motivated and capable worker as part of a team or individually, with experience of leadership and team building. Able and willing to learn new programming languages and skills quickly.
I regularly teach at the University of Cambridge. I have been a supervisor for 1B Plant and Microbial Sciences, and I regularly teach primary and secondary school students about plant sciences at the Cambridge botanic gardens. I also teach statistics, programming, and data visualisation in R and Python to PhD students, postdoctoral researchers, and staff. Courses range from small (<20 people) and led by only myself, to large (>100 people) and working as part of a team of teaching fellows
University of Cambridge
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
2016 - 2021
University of St. Andrews
2012 - 2016
Samaritans, Listening Volunteer
2019 - Present
• Answering calls from people across the UK who need confidential support with a variety of different problems • Attend multiple courses on how to listen and empathise, how to support other volunteers, and how to work as part of a team
Cambridge Botanic Gardens, Group Leader – outreach events
2017 - Present
• Involved in various events where members of the public visit to learn about research within the University and facts about plants within the gardens • In charge of groups of sixth form students across a variety of lectures and practicals. Responsibilities include summarising lecture material, engaging students with complex research topics, and leading sessions around the gardens
University of Cambridge, Biostatistics Initiative Teaching Fellow
2016 - Present
• Teaching statistics, programming, and data visualisation in R and Python to PhD students, postdoctoral researchers, and staff • Courses range from small (<20 people) and led by only myself, to large (>100 people) and working as part of a team of teaching fellows • Main responsibilities: o Leadership: organising lectures and practical sessions, compiling a course schedule, and managing a team of practical demonstrators o Practical: presenting lectures, assisting course members with coding and statistical questions, discussing complex...
Code Kingdoms, Data Scientist
2019 - 2020
• Three-month placement working with large amounts of data collected over six years, none of which had been previously analysed • Specific questions were focused on that would allow the company to optimise their product and find any improvements that could be implemented • Data was analysed using PostgreSQL, R, and Python • Worked individually and as a team, finishing projects within tight deadlines • Regularly presented and discussed current work with the whole company, visualising data and describing results for presentations and documents
University of Cambridge, Supervisor – 1B Plant and Microbial Sciences
2017 - 2019
• Led sessions with small groups of students where recent lecture material was discussed, research papers were analysed, and challenging topics explored • Responsibilities included planning and conducting supervisions, as well as marking exam questions and essays
Send a message explaining your
needs and Sarah will reply soon.
needs and Sarah will reply soon.
Ready now? Request a lesson.
What is a lesson?
A lesson is virtual lesson space on our platform where you and a tutor can communicate. You'll have the option to communicate using video/audio as well as text chat. You can also upload documents, edit papers in real time and use our cutting-edge virtual whiteboard.
How do I begin a lesson?
If the tutor is currently online, you can click the "Start Lesson" button above. If they are offline, you can always send them a message to schedule a lesson.
Who are TutorMe tutors?
Many of our tutors are current college students or recent graduates of top-tier universities like MIT, Harvard and USC. TutorMe has thousands of top-quality tutors available to work with you.