Tutor profile: Chasia J.
Graduate Student - JD/PhD in Culture & Theory
I'm a recent graduate of the University of Southern California magna cum laude with a B.A. in Law, History, and Culture and a minor in Gender & Social Justice. In the fall, I will be a graduate student studying concurrently in UC Irvine's JD (Law) and Ph.D. in Culture & Theory Programs. I would enjoy tutoring in K-12 and college-level English and would also be a strong tutor for writing, college and graduate school applications, and reading comprehension. I have experience tutoring in elementary and middle school math.
I worked as a tutor for USC's Kinder2College where I designed & taught kinesthetic literacy & STEM lessons to Black & Latine elementary students. I also assisted in the development of a program-wide science curriculum to inspire & maintain STEM interest in Black & Latine girls. I also have experience tutoring independently in reading comprehension and K-12 math.
University of California - Irvine
Literature, Cultural Studies
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
2021 - 2028
University of California - Irvine
Juris Doctor (J.D.)
2022 - 2025
University of Southern California
2017 - 2021
Library Company of Philadelphia, Mellon Scholars Program in African American History Research Intern
2021 - 2021
● Transcribing Philadelphia Abolition Society manuscripts for the Historical Society of Pennsylvania ● Conducting historical and literary research using the Library Company’s archival documents to produce scholarly work in African American history of the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries
University of Southern California Undergraduate Student Government (USG), Co-Exec. Director of Student Assembly for Gender Empowerment(SAGE)
2020 - 2021
● Represented SAGE as a voting representative at USG Programming Branch meetings ● Scheduled, organized, & presided over general meetings & executive board meetings ● Oversaw all operations, including paperwork, administering funds, & maintaining the budget ● Coordinated & encouraged collaboration between programming & cultural assemblies ● Oversaw & assisted in planning & executing signature events such as FemFest music festival & month-long programming for Take Back The Night, including a conversation with Chanel Miller ● Co-led advocacy for...
University of Southern California Residential Education, Residential Assistant
2019 - 2021
● Mentored, advocated for, & assisted residents in Cowlings & Ilium Residential College & South Residential College ● Served as a Virtual Peer Mentor for 20 first-year students during the COVID pandemic ● Designed & facilitated community & identity-based programs directly for 63 residents ● Advised Cowlings & Ilium’s Community Council, composed of 10 residents
Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, Sex Crimes Unit Intern
2020 - 2020
● Screened sexual assault & rape investigations for consideration by the District Attorney’s Office ● Evaluated & summarized evidence to assist in the prosecution of felony sex crimes
Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, Post-Conviction Review Unit Intern
2019 - 2020
● Evaluated petitions & drafted arguments for resentencing under SB1437 or where individuals claimed wrongful conviction ● Assisted in preparing witness testimony, drafting memos, & organizing case files for trial & sentencing
University of Southern California Center for Black Cultural & Student Affairs, Signature Events Specialist
2018 - 2020
● Created & co-facilitated Sisters in Solidarity (SIS), a community for Black women, femme-identifying, & non-binary folks ● Assisted in planning & executing our African American Cultural Celebration, our Films Reflecting Ourselves Annual Film Festival, Black Family Weekend, & Black History Month programs ● Performed general office duties including greeting visitors, clerical tasks, maintaining office cleanliness, & assisting students
Inner City Law Center, Homeful.LA Policy & Issue Education Intern
2019 - 2019
● Assisted in the planning & execution of Homeful.LA’s county-wide Weekend to End Homelessness ● Assisted lawyers with case research for unlawful detainer cases in South Central Los Angeles ● Wrote & published articles on the effect of domestic violence, race, & gender-neutral shelters on homelessness in Los Angeles ● Built partnerships with organizations in SPA 6 & schools throughout Los Angeles County
University of Southern California’s Kinder2College, Tutor
2017 - 2019
● Designed & taught kinesthetic literacy & STEM lessons to Black & Latine elementary students ● Assisted in the development of a program-wide science curriculum to inspire & maintain STEM interest in Black & Latine girls
What is a lesson?
A lesson is virtual lesson space on our platform where you and a tutor can communicate. You'll have the option to communicate using video/audio as well as text chat. You can also upload documents, edit papers in real time and use our cutting-edge virtual whiteboard.
How do I begin a lesson?
If the tutor is currently online, you can click the "Start Lesson" button above. If they are offline, you can always send them a message to schedule a lesson.
Who are TutorMe tutors?
Many of our tutors are current college students or recent graduates of top-tier universities like MIT, Harvard and USC. TutorMe has thousands of top-quality tutors available to work with you.