Tutor profile: Dan R.
Writing Tutor (MA & BA in English with 4 years of experience)
I am a U.S. Army Veteran who has taught and tutored composition and rhetoric for college level students. I believe life experience is just as important as academic experience and i have backpacked through 14 countries in Europe and the UK, deployed to Afghanistan, worked for two U.S. Congressmen as a Wounded Warrior Fellow, and have a deep passion for reading and writing outside of academia. I am down-to-earth and I've helped students develop a passion for writing and communication.
I have 2+ years of experience teaching core writing (composition & rhetoric) classes for college students at two universities and 3+ years of experience as a writing tutor for first-generation college students, veterans, and political interns.
California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo
2016 - 2018
American Public University System
2015 - 2016
California State University - Sacramento
2004 - 2009
U.S. House of Representatives, Wounded Warrior Fellowship
2019 - 2021
• Served as a Wounded Warrior Fellow with the U.S. House of Representatives for two U.S. Congressmen in Oregon's Second Congressional District (CD2). • Wrote approximately 500 pieces of correspondence in the form of congratulations letters, congressional awards, and congressional records. • Provided guidance on drafting, editing, and revising correspondence for CD2's four district offices and Washington, D.C. office. • Conducted approximately 600 congressional inquiry cases dealing with the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of...
University of Nevada, Reno English Department, Teaching Assistant (Composition & Rhetoric)
2018 - 2019
• Taught three semesters of first-year core writing courses while working on doctorate degree in Composition & Rhetoric. • Emphasized multimodal communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate information clearly and concisely. • Developed foundational knowledge in understanding and analyzing different rhetorical contexts for writing and asked students to transform their writing into different genres for different audiences. • Emphasized rhetorical flexibility by giving students the knowledge and experience to tailor their...
Cal Poly Summer Institute, San Luis Obispo, CA, Writing Instructor
2017 - 2018
• Taught a three-week writing course catered towards first-generation college students helping them make a successful transition from high school to college. • Introduced students to textual analysis, writing and presenting for an audience, organization, and argumentation.
Cal Poly Veteran Success Center, San Luis Obispo, CA, Writing Tutor
2017 - 2018
• Assisted Veterans and dependents with brainstorming, drafting, revising, and proofreading their writing within various academic disciplines and their style and formatting guidelines.
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Teaching Associate
2017 - 2018
• Taught three quarters of first-year composition that covered the fundamentals of university-level writing, rhetoric, research, analysis, and argumentation. • Emphasized crafting focused and effective arguments, understanding the relationship between form and content, synthesizing multiple texts and viewpoints, and locating reputable outside sources and citing appropriately. • Implemented the basic rhetorical concepts of ethos, pathos, logos, and kairos. • Approached the act of writing as a recursive process that included drafting,
Cal Poly Writing & Learning Center, San Luis Obispo, CA, Writing Tutor & Graduation Exam Counselor
2016 - 2017
• Helped students develop strong arguments with a concern for purpose, audience, stance, genre, and medium. • Worked with visiting multilingual study abroad students to develop their academic English writing skills. • Helped students who failed the Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE) to understand successful test taking strategies. • Provided writing feedback based on audience, purpose, and context of assigned writing tasks. • Assisted students with developing writing portfolios consisting of final drafts of weekly essays and revisions of past...
United States Army, Joint Base Lewis, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA, Human Intelligence Collector & Team Sergeant
2010 - 2015
• Collected intelligence about enemy intentions, strengths, vulnerabilities, and capabilities, and communicated this critical information to senior military leaders in written reports and briefings. • Debriefed, interviewed, and interrogated human intelligence sources, which required analysis and preparation of intelligence reports and screening human intelligence sources and documents. • As Team Sergeant, I served as the non-commissioned officer in charge (NCOIC) of a 10-soldier Multi-Functions Team in Logar Province, Afghanistan for...
What is a lesson?
A lesson is virtual lesson space on our platform where you and a tutor can communicate. You'll have the option to communicate using video/audio as well as text chat. You can also upload documents, edit papers in real time and use our cutting-edge virtual whiteboard.
How do I begin a lesson?
If the tutor is currently online, you can click the "Start Lesson" button above. If they are offline, you can always send them a message to schedule a lesson.
Who are TutorMe tutors?
Many of our tutors are current college students or recent graduates of top-tier universities like MIT, Harvard and USC. TutorMe has thousands of top-quality tutors available to work with you.