Tutor profile: Heather J.
Librarian MLIS / My mission is to create connections for others to empower and transform lives.
Librarian professional with a passion for research, accessibility, forming genuine relationships, and program design. Master of Library and Information Science graduate with Bachelor of Psychology and Human Services Counseling minor with extensive knowledge and training of library services and programs. I have worked in libraries since 2007 in numerous positions, including circulation, reference, and user-centered services, as well as collection management, direct student and volunteer supervision and collaboration, marketing, social media,
I directly instructed and facilitated programs for adults. I've taught hundreds of classes, from beginner workshops to advanced digital learning projects over six years of librarianship. One of my favorite programs to instruct is English as a Second Language (ESL) where I utilized effective pedagogy in a traditional classroom setting. Using a standard template to guide a structured lesson, I supported students’ needs, backgrounds, perspectives, and interests. I consulted with colleagues to integrate outcomes, activities, and assessment into...
University of Pittsburgh
Library and Information Science
2012 - 2014
University of Nevada - Las Vegas
2007 - 2011
Pikes Peak Library District, Librarian
2017 - 2021
• Point librarian at a main branch for reference at three customer service points, adult programs, senior resources, book club, self-publishing resources like Indie Author Project, and accessibility needs and emerging technology. Person-in-charge evenings/weekends. Reported to Branch Manager. • Developed, evaluated, and strengthened services, resources, and programs and removed barriers to access for all community members as part of Accessibility, Senior, and Information Services work groups. • Spearheaded redesign of Book a Librarian research...
Sunnyvale Public Library, Librarian
2015 - 2017
• Head librarian for City and Council documents, local history collection, and liaison to the Sunnyvale Heritage Park Museum. Initiated digitization project and electronic access of select materials. • Recruited by Department Head to establish digital learning lab to complement 3D printing initiative. • Instituted Career Online High School program to provide scholarships for underrepresented adult students; wrote and presented proposal for board approval; partnered with California State Library. • Constructed and taught English as a Second...
UNLV Lied Library, Stacks Supervisor
2013 - 2015
• Direct supervisor of 10 - 15 student assistants who assisted in shelving and inventory management. Collected and reported in-house, circulation, and renewal statistics of more than 1.2M bound items. • Created, promoted, hosted, and assessed workshops for hundreds of adult students • Wrote, filmed, edited, and published orientation and training videos to support student success. • Conducted interviews, assessed current infrastructure, and recommended best practices for existing and new tools • Resolved complex problems and coordinated repairs
Credo Reference, Instructional Design Intern
2014 - 2014
• Applied information literacy standards to develop learning outcomes for subscriber projects. Drafted and finalized outlines and scripts for digital learning objects, reporting to two team leads for project planning.
UNLV TDRL Library, Student Library Assistant
2007 - 2011
• Processed, shelved, and circulated collection of 30K items, including children’s and young adult literature, professional materials for educators, graphic novels, P12 textbooks, and activity kits. • Trained new employees to answer informational and reference questions in-person and remotely.
What is a lesson?
A lesson is virtual lesson space on our platform where you and a tutor can communicate. You'll have the option to communicate using video/audio as well as text chat. You can also upload documents, edit papers in real time and use our cutting-edge virtual whiteboard.
How do I begin a lesson?
If the tutor is currently online, you can click the "Start Lesson" button above. If they are offline, you can always send them a message to schedule a lesson.
Who are TutorMe tutors?
Many of our tutors are current college students or recent graduates of top-tier universities like MIT, Harvard and USC. TutorMe has thousands of top-quality tutors available to work with you.